Saturday, March 9, 2013

Action Research in Professional Development

I am planning to conduct my action research in the area of professional development. Specifically, I want to research the general perception of professional development amongst teachers in my campus and what are some ways in which we can make their professional development meaningful and effective so that practices are implemented with fidelity. Some questions that stem from that are:

*What is the relationship between teacher's attitudes and effectivness of professional development?
*How do the veteran's teachers perceptions differ from begninning teachers and how does it reflect in their implementation of practices?
*What is the relationship between the size of teacher groups to the effectiveness of professional development?
*What type of support are teachers seeking so that whatever they learned is implemented effectively and with fidelity?
*Do staff development trainings have more meaning for teachers when the expert or presenter is a colleague or an outside source?


The significance of my action research is to identify what makes professional development sessions effective and meaningful for teachers so that practices, strategies or techniques are implemented with fidelity. This action research will benefit first and foremost our teachers. Often times, I hear teachers in my campus complain of professional development sessions they attended.  They see some of them as a waste of their time since they don't see a purpose for them or how they target their students.  If we can find ways for professional development to have meaning and purpose for teachers and find what type of support they need to put practices into effect, then maybe they may not simply see staff development sessions as a "sit and listen" training. By providing adquate support and follow up with teachers in the correct implementation of practices, our students will ultimatly benefit from teachers knowledge and trainings in different areas, therefore increasing student achievement.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great topic for a research project. I agree that this is definitely an area that could use some serious looking-into. I'm definitely one of those teachers that rarely enjoys staff development. I think it's mainly because so much of the content we usually meet about could be disseminated via email. Maybe it's just my personal learning style though. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ryan! I have to admit that I'm one of those teachers myself. I really believe in attending relevant and purposeful professional development sessions that will provide us with great insights to better serve our students. I really dislike the "sit and listen" approach that some of these sessions take, or like you say, when the content of the session could be disseminated via email. Hopefully I'll be able to get some useful feedback from teachers as to how to make their professional development sessions more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, this will be a great research project. I truly believe that there are such valuable professional development opportunities out there, but it seems like they are under utilized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your research idea. As a teacher, I would appreciate the effective utilization of the limited amount of time divided between work, graduate school, and three children (husband and two kids actually).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is a great research topic. Too many times, as teachers, we sit through professional development and ask ourselves why we are even there. It will be interesting to see where your research leads you and what types of professional developments you find to be most effective. I can't wait to follow your progress on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking about staff development the other day. I have been teaching for 14 years and I have been to a lot of the same trainings because we need to help the new teachers. While I think it is important, I don't feel like I should have to sit through a training for the 9th time on how to do attendance. I think it would be great to have different trainings. Maybe you have a choice of which trainings you would go to? I don't know, there just has to be a better way. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That will be a great topic. There are many places where PD is nothing but busy work and in no way enhances the life long learning journey. I will be very interested in following your research in this area. PD does need to have reason and substance so that all involved actually benefit from participating in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there are multitudes of teachers who feel that professional development sessions are a waste of time. I try to take those courses that seem interesting to me and/or have the most relevance to my practice. Unfortunately, we often have mandated trainings to hear the same information that we heard the year before. Often times, we learn great information but are not given the time or resources to implement what we have learned. I am curious as to how you are going to change the current professional development offered/required on your campus...will you be creating/presenting all new topics?

    ReplyDelete